Saturday, March 26, 2016

ReREADS Victor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning

Viktor Frankl - Man’s Search for Meaning :D
One of the books that I truly admired…… 
It was actually an assignment on our Psychology class, (a class report) and it was kinda intriguing for me, because I always thought of myself on what’s my place or meaning in this world. 
It’s a 1946 book of Viktor where he explains his triumphs as a concentration camp inmate and describing his psychotherapeutic method of finding a reason to live. During his stay at the camp, he explains the psychological experiences by inmates in the camp which are Shock, Apathy and Depersonalization. Shock, due to their first admission at the camp; Apathy, due to their usual stay in the camp which they only value themselves and their friends; Depersonalization, due to bitterness, thinking if he will survive,anxiety,bipolar disorder, sleep deprivation.  
There is one excerpt in the book where you can find on page 56-57, on how he and his fellow inmates struggles while working on an extreme working conditions of the camp. 
“We stumbled on in the darkness, over big stones and through large puddles, along the one road leading from the camp. The accompanying guards kept shouting at us and driving us with the butts of their rifles. Anyone with very sore feet supported himself on his neighbor’s arm. Hardly a word was spoken; the icy wind did not encourage talk. Hiding his mouth behind his upturned collar, the man marching next to me whispered suddenly: "If our wives could see us now! I do hope they are better off in their camps and don’t know what is happening to us.” (p.56, Viktor Frankl)
Well, what’s not to admire in this book, yes it is about the psychological process of an inmate, but it can also teach us that the way of life is not that easy. And sometimes we simply take it for granted, while others live the very best of it. Imagine closing your eyes on a four walled room and when you woke up, you feel the emptiness in your heart and soul wishing you could get out of the darkness and see the outside world. I think it’s how Viktor Frankl wants me and my classmates to realize that the “meaning of life is found in every moment of living
Reflecting on the book itself, of course I don’t need to be an inmate to find out what’s the meaning of my life, what is the essence, but every moment of everyday, i should always treasure the things that are happening to me, because we cannot repeat the past or go back, but we can do adjustments and do what’s right.
Just like the songs goes “Live like there’s no tomorrow, Live while were young”. Who knows what could happen? :D 
To end this blog, let’s all celebrate the gifts of life, Day and Knight, Hot or Cold, Rain or Shine, those smiles on our families, and the gift of happiness and success :D 
                                                                                ***************************
This was me, writing this on my tumblr last 2012, and this was a part of my term paper during my 2nd year of college. Years had passed, 2016, I reread one of the books that touched my heart, valuing life, admiring the process of change, feeling the fear of the unknown, and understanding the so called emptiness that traps your heart with reasons you knew and don’t know.
As time passes by, the knowledge that this book entails on me grew bigger, the knowledge of understanding the value of the unknown, those words I somehow forget to underline but this time I came to realize it on a bigger picture. The things I value as I breathe through life are not just about the moment I had as I live, but the memories I built with my families and friends. As I pass this path of my so called unknown, I came to realize that when I was young I see everything in a brighter side, (well I still see the brighter side even if I’m on the stage of middle age syndrome at 24). This time, I became tougher and wiser. The people surrounding me might throw stones at me and tell things I haven’t heard of, or put me down to the least I have expected, yes, I may be hurt but those words won’t bring me down. All I see now is the people who see the brighter side of me even if I have nothing and the dreams I wanted to accomplish with my family.
I, still haven’t anything that could raise their glasses, because all they see are the flaws that curves around my face (Not complaining nor caring hahaha). As Viktor Frankl voice out the meaning of life is found in every moment of living, I have learn to accept that no matter how I try to put myself out there, be the perfect girl they wanted me to see, all I could be is me. JUST ME. the moment of my own living life, is accepting who I am. I have thousands of failures, hundreds of departures, despite of all that I believe in myself this is my own moment of living.
The darkness I have stumbled, the achievements I would slowly achieve, this meaning of life is more valuable than anything else in the world. This is the moment where life is meaningful. Yes, there are empty moments, but this moment’s makes us stronger and a better person.
Hahaha, years back it was all just a term paper that is needed to be submitted, and just a book review I wrote on my tumblr, this time personal thoughts are bursting everywhere. Oh well, have time to read this book, even you could have your own interpretation of this book J

Lastly, the thing that is more valuable is not how many people accepts you, but the few number of people who loves and supports you no matter what. And there, you must find your strength and find your own meaning of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

26 things I have learned in Life and in achieving my dreams

Happy Birthday To ME!! Feelings about being 26, well not that much, I still feel the same but this time I am a little bit of “gigil” in d...